As I mentioned before, I cannot wait to attend FIDM in the Fall. So I figured I would share with you some of the basic information about the school and why it was the right choice for me!
- The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising was established in 1969 by Tonian Hohberg.
- There are four different campus locations, San Diego, San Francisco, Orange County, and Los Angeles with 7,500 students spread out among them.
- There are 20 majors with a 2-year Associate of Arts degree as well as a Professional Designation program.
- Classes start every quarter so the admission is year-round rolling.
- Study Tours and Exchange Programs in major fashion cities across the globe.
- 90% of graduates find jobs in the fashion industry within six months of graduating.
I had to really make sure I was 100% in love with FIDM for making the commitment of moving 2,000 miles away from home and spending a good chunk of change. I really wanted to get a feel for each of the different cities to see which was a perfect fit. Lucky for me, I was able to visit three of them. In the end, Los Angeles was definitely my favorite. I loved the atmosphere and all the instructors I met.
Here are my top five reasons for choosing FIDM:
1) Location, Location, Location! I believe there are only a handful of places where a person can be successful in the fashion industry, Los Angeles is one of them.
2) All of the instructors at FIDM are currently employed in the fashion industry along with teaching. They know first hand how the fashion industry works.
3) My major (Visual Communication) immediately caught my attention. It taught such a wide variety of skills needed to work in various parts of the entertainment industry.
4) The industry connections FIDM has are outstanding! Many relevant fashion companies are hiring FIDM grads.
5) Everyone attending the school loves fashion just as much as me! :)
Let me know if you have any questions about FIDM or if you'd like a post to breakdown the three campuses I visited.